Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

SEMAINE 12


This is a photo from their zone conference last week that I found on the mission blog site.  It's always nice to include a photo of Elder Johnson with his e-mail.  :)


TRANSFER WEEK
So, this week is transfers week! Which means I could leave Lyon or receive a new companion. I feel like I'm going to stay and Elder Schneider will leave... but who knows! President never likes to do the expected. 

The anticipation of knowing something is going to change is pretty darn intense. For me personally, it is in my head at least every other second "Am I leaving or am I staying?" It sounds so foreign to me to leave Lyon, because this is my idea of France and the mission at this point. I don't have anything else to compare it to. Whatever happens I know I will be happy! I just don't really care for the anticipation.

McDonalds: A PLACE OF EATING
SO! Sometimes we like to treat ourselves to an authentic American meal and eat at MACDO (as the French call it). The line was super, super long but the wait was totally worth it... We found a spot to sit and commenced our American feast. 

As I am taking a rather large bite of fries, I notice the woman next to me is wearing a really weird colored shirt...It's like this weird, flesh color. After staring for about three seconds I come to realize that her shirt is actually green and she is full on breast-feeding in the middle of a super crowded McDonalds. OH Europe.

Upon my realization of what was going on, I nearly choke on my fries and do an about-face. Elder Schneider noticed my distressed and asked what was going on, which I then referred him to the woman next to us through eye signals, as I can't speak because I am choking on fries. Sometimes you think you should ask the question "Why is this person this way?” but then quickly realize you don't want to know the answer to the question you just posed.

BOB ÉPONGE
Sponge Bob's name in France is Bob Éponge.... Don't ask why I know this OR why I am fascinated by this. All of the names of the people in Sponge Bob are the same... All of them, except for one character.. Guess what Squidward's name is... guess! CARLOS. Bahaha. Why Carlos? Who knows.

LES CHOSES QUI SONT PLUS SPIRITUELLE 
After talking about breast feeding women and Sponge Bob I think I should talk about something’s that are actually related to missionary work. At the beginning of my mission it was really hard for me to enjoy personal study time but now I have really come to enjoy it. I mean, I'm never going to be able to devote close to two hours of my day to scripture study after my mission, so I really try to use it as effectively as possible.
In my studies I have found some great scriptures that help encourage me when the going gets rough! The first one is from Doctrine and Covenants which says:

D&C 103:36: “All victory and glory is brought to pass unto you through your diligence, faithfulness, and prayers of faith.”

I have really come to love this scripture because it is SO clear. We, as missionaries will succeed so long as we are diligent and faithful. The Lord wants so badly to bless us as individuals but He can't do that unless we are faithful and obedient. The other scripture is from the Book of Mormon:

2 Nephi 2:11"For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things.”
         
I've come to realize that it is essential for us to progress as people, that we have hard things given to us. It is also a way for us to realize all of the good things that we have in our life. If we never had to face hard things, we could never come to appreciate the times where things run smoothly. 

The Atonement, which made it possible for us to repent of our sins and live with our Heavenly Father again was not bought easily. Jesus Christ suffered for all of the sins, illnesses, and pains of the world so that we could have the chance to become clean before God. 

THE THINGS THE MISSION DOES TO YOU
After being on my mission for just a short time I've already started to think different. With something’s I am more spiritually minded, but a lot of things are just from our schedule. haha

I am starting to dream in French! Pretty awesome. Sometimes it is annoying because I still don't understand everything that is spoken... EVEN in my dreams, which means the people in my dreams might just be speaking a made up language with French words in it...bahaha.

Along the lines of sleeping, every single morning I wake up at 6:25 a.m., before the alarm even goes of. During those five minutes I usually try to wake my brain up so I will be able to pray to Heavenly Father fully awake. 

All of these changes have been positive! I feel more happiness in my life because I am living the gospel to the max! There are mornings as the alarm goes off, where I think "I just can't get out of bed... I can't" But somehow my feet swing out, I start my morning prayer and suddenly the whole day has passed by. 

LES AMIS
Alright! I don't have a ton of news about our amis but I do have one that I would like to share about. His name is Gwenael and he is super, super cool. I feel sure that he will be baptized on his date (Mars 15). We have been able to meet with him about three times each week, he reads everything that we give him, and he keeps all of his commitments. After we shared the plan of Salvation, he told us that it was "beautiful" and then asked how he could use the this knowledge to continue to build his faith.  But yeah! He is pretty golden!

Solange should be back in town this week, so hopefully we will be able to start meeting with her again! :)

That is all for this week! I love you all! I appreciate your letters and support! 
Avec Amour Beaucoup,

Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment