Pages

Monday, December 29, 2014

Christmas is the Best, Illness is NOT!



NOEL
Christmas is so awesome! I love it. The members of Perigueux spoiled us. So, Christmas Eve, we went to the famille Donadier's house, which so so much fun. They have a son on a mission right now and two others that are home who are really cool. We got to their house at around six and then Frere Donadier was like "So, do you want to watch a Disney movie?" So, we sit down and he puts in "Frozen" which is probably the best movie of all time. I loved it so much. When we first sat down to watch the movie, I couldn't really get comfortable. It was just weird being in front of a television but as the movie starting going I got more comfortable and really enjoyed it. 


Once the movie was over, Maggie and Mario (other members who were invited) arrive and that is when we sat down at the table and gorged ourselves. So many courses. It was great. We started out with smoked salmon, caviar, and calamari. Then moved on to some hot appetizers like this scallop gratin thing, which I could have eaten gallons of. 

Once we got through all of the little courses we got to the main course, it was turkey with hazelnuts, green beans, and sweet potato’s, which were all really well done. Soeur Donadier was like... "I'm sorry you have to come to my house to eat for Christmas. That is lame. I'm not that good of a cook." She is a liar. lol. Before we came over though, she asked if there was anything that we traditionally eat for Christmas dinner so that she could maybe make some or something. I told her that we eat squirrels in Arkansas, which absolutely horrified her. LOL. She thought it was so funny though. Now she calls me the "Mangeur des écureuils" which literally means "Eat of squirrels" lol. 

We were able to stay out until 11 PM on Christmas Eve so we had a ton of fun with them. They are a super cool family. They really made Christmas awesome for us. 

Christmas breakfast - Bacon and Pancakes

THEN on Christmas day we went to Frere DeOliveras house... and he literally made an entire pig. Like in the movies! It was a sight to behold. I didn't get a picture but I think Elder Brill did. I'll have to ask him for it. It was enormous and oh so delicious. He has Portuguese origins, so we had a little bit of spice in our food (which was nice because French people generally hate spicy). We ate an early lunch with them from 12 to 5ish. 

Fun Christmas socks from Julie & Lucy :) 
Present from Cody.  lol
Add caption

 After that we were able to Skype at Soeur Mas' house. I think that was the best part of Christmas. I love seeing my ugly siblings. I say ugly because they actually have all gotten really big and beautiful but I HATE it. Especially Sierra... Yuck. No Braces? What is this madness? After seeing my family, it motivates me to continue to work hard as a missionary.


Skyping with his ugly siblings. 
 After our family Skype, Soeur Mas fed us a small dinner of leftovers and then we all drank Caro (which is like Postum/coffee substitute)... So French. lol. 

Up to this point, our week was wonderful! UNTIL

ILLNESS STRIKES
Due to several factors, Elder Brill got REALLY sick and we couldn't leave the apartment for two days. I went crazy. I had cabin fever so bad. Being stuck in the apartment is literally the worse thing that can happen to you as a missionary. You can only read you scriptures, clean, make so many phone calls and sleep before you get really, really, really, REALLY bored. I thought I was going to die. 

Fortunately we were able to go to church and breathe some fresh air... otherwise I think I would have reenacted "The Shining". After those two days I just wanted to run like 10 miles or something. It was not good for my mental health and apparently my physical health too because now I have the same cough as Elder Brill but I guess that is what happens when you are stuck in an apartment with a sick person for 48 hours straight. 

Anyway!

Despite illness, we had a great Christmas! It was so much fun. As I said before, Christmas as a missionary is the best thing ever. I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year! I'm excited to set some resolutions. The New Year is like a huge empty canvas just waiting to get paint thrown on it. Especially since this is my last year in France. I want to tear it up. 


Well! 
I love you! Happy New Year!

Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment